At long last...

15 June 2006

Finished!


Perfect fit! (and a really accurate colour representation IMO)

Pattern: Gentleman's Plain Winter Sock from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks.
Needles: 2.25mm 15cm DPN bamboo
Wool: 100% Aussie Merino 2ply from Marta's Yarns. I used 2 strands together to give 4ply (standard sock yarn weight). I used 98grams.

I basically followed the pattern, but added some extra rounds of stockinette to make the legs longer. The pattern also called for a dutch heel, but even though that looked great and I was impressed with the result, it just didn't fit my feet. So I used the heel that was in the pattern for the Gentleman's Fancy Sock. The wide toe fits my foot beautifully. Also, instead of stockinette on the heel flap, I used eye of partridge, which looks great and is comfy.

Verdict? I LOVE them. They're my favourite pair so far. The colours are gorgeous, they fit beautifully and they're toasty warm (perfect for this Melbourne winter).

Copyright ©2006 - 2008 by OzKnitter. All rights reserved 

15.6.06 :: ::
6 Comments:
  • Those are beautiful - I love the color!

    By Blogger Jeanne, on 16 June, 2006  
  • They look really lovely. I think I shall have a go at that toe too. It looks comfier than the traditional one. Beautiful colour.
    Cheers Gillian

    By Blogger Gillian, on 16 June, 2006  
  • I love those -- quite nice! So, you didn't really decrease the cast-on even though they are sized for a man? I'm wondering if I can do the same? I'll try to remember to create a photo album on the Vintage Socks KAL so you can put a picture there, too.

    By Blogger Rebecca, on 16 June, 2006  
  • Thanks ladies! They've had a bath and they're drying, and hopefully they'll be dry enough to wear to SnB on Sunday.

    Rebecca, I did adjust the cast on to suit me. I worked it so that the main part of the leg was approximately the same number of stitches that I used for another pair of socks, so I knew they'd fit. I also tried them on as I went. The rib is based on a 5 repeat, so adjust down/up in 5's and it should work. Let me know if you need help figuring it out :-)

    By Blogger OzKnitter, on 18 June, 2006  
  • You are pretty good at knitting! These socks are lovely and the color is beautiful!

    By Blogger Bazar Manualidades, on 24 June, 2006  
  • Thanks Patricia! :o)

    By Blogger OzKnitter, on 30 June, 2006  
Post a Comment
Home

OzKnitter :: permalink