Sock History & Clue

15 October 2006
As part of Socktoberfest, Lolly posed some questions regarding your sock knitting history.

My answers:
When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I started in January 2006. I'd never even realised that you could knit socks, before then. I learnt by following the pattern in this Paton's book. At the same time I learnt how to knit in the round using DPNs.


What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

Here is my first pair, made with Paton's Patonyle 4ply #4309 using 2.25mm bamboo DPNs.
Pattern: Patons #1239.

They've held up beautifully. They're very soft and I love the fact that I can throw them in the washing machine with all the other laundry. The only repair required so far is to the top of one of them where the round joins up. Just needed a little reinforcing. (When I made them I didn't know about switching the first and last stitches to give a smoother join).


What would you have done differently?
I would have "kitchenered" the first one properly. I tried but ended up getting in a muddle and just finishing it "any old how". Thankfully Donna gave me a link to a "How to Kitchener" video which was a lifesaver! So, the second one (and every other sock since) turned out perfectly.


What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
So far I've liked all of the yarns I've knitted with. I haven't found anything that's been too "harsh" or "splitty". I've used Patonyle, Lana Grossa (Mega Boots Stretch & Meilenweit "Fun & Stripes"), Heirloom Jigsaw, Marta's Yarns, OnLine and Opal.

I really like Paton's Patonyle because it's soft, durable and Australian. Unfortunately they don't have a big colour range (I have it on good authority there will be new colours for 2007). Marta's Yarns 2ply 100% Merino (I use 2 strands to give 4ply) is gorgeously soft and makes lovely socks. I also like the variety of colours that Opal offers.

At this point, I haven't used too many brands and there are many that I'd like to try, especially those that aren't available here, like STR, Sock Hop, Koigu, Fleece Artist.


Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I knit them on bamboo DPNs. I've tried circulars, but I much prefer DPNs. I do use circulars when I want to try the socks on. (Knit onto the circular... measure/try on... knit off the circular back to the DPNs).

I defnitely haven't tried to crochet them. (I can only crochet a single chain.)


Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I like heel flaps. I have attempted short-rows a couple of times, but just can't seem to make them look right. Anyone have any "idiot-proof" short-row heel instructions?


How many pairs have you made?
My sidebar says I've made 11 pairs. I do have some "singles" around here that need pairs.


~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~


CLUE FOR THE TIMTAMS COMPETITION:
The yarn brand is one I haven't listed above.
(Go here to see competition details)

Copyright ©2006 - 2008 by OzKnitter. All rights reserved 

15.10.06 :: ::
3 Comments:
  • I *still* have to use that video every time I do kitchener. For some reason, I just can't get the hang of it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, on 16 October, 2006  
  • Regia Silk??? Because I think you and your feet deserve something decadent. : ) These Timtams look interesting... So sorry your toe-ups aren't agreeing with you right now... hopefully in a few days it will work out. : ) I've never used it myself, but lots of people recommend Wendy's (of Wendyknits.net)toe-up pattern for heels.

    By Blogger limedragon :-: Harriet, on 17 October, 2006  
  • Donna ~ after awhile I got into the habit of saying "Knit Off, Purl On. Purl Off, Knit On." 95% of the time that keeps me on track... occasionally I have to look at the video again.

    Harriet ~ Awww thanks! I haven't tried Regia Silk but it sounds heavenly. TimTams are yummy. In summer you can eat them straight from the fridge or freezer. In winter, they're great to "dunk" into your hot chocolate or coffee. Thanks for the tip (again :o)) will check out Wendy's heels.

    By Blogger OzKnitter, on 17 October, 2006  
Post a Comment
Home

OzKnitter :: permalink